Friday, March 20, 2015

Enough

  I apologize to those of you who check my blog on a regular basis for updates. It has been a very long time since I wrote anything new!
  I have been contemplating what is "enough" since reading the book with that title, written by Will Davis, Jr.  Webster defines enough as having sufficient amounts, or as much or as many as required. Two cups of coffee is enough to begin my day. Sometimes my living space does not seem like enough to hold all the belongings I have accumulated in the 5 months on board the ship  and as I think about coming home in 10 weeks I realize some things are going to have to go.  Will  8 weeks be enough time to be home before I return to the ship the end of July?  I certainly hope so!
  And what does enough mean in my daily work in Admissions?  Are there enough healthy patients to fill the OR slots for the next day? Did we butter enough bread to feed every patient lunch? Is there enough time to draw all the labs and get the results before it is time to take the patients up the gangway and down to the hospital ward?  Have we spent enough time talking to the patients so that they are no longer fearful of going on the ship?  I look at each patient who comes through our door and see that some do not have shoes on their feet. Enough as a sufficient amount takes on whole new meaning when I think of the shoes in my closet at home that I have not worn in 6 months and I see bare feet that have walked up to 3 days to get to a means of transportation to come to the port city of Tomatave in the hope of gaining free surgery for whatever their problem is. Each of us has to define what is enough in our lives to sustain us.And the bigger issue is what we choose to do with our more than enough, to share it with those who have less than enough. One word that has changed my life forever.  Have I loved enough to make a difference?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris! I loved your post here. Yes, the word is enough. I am feeling overwhelmed by the abundance surrounding me here at home. And I would like to think that I am living a fairly frugal life! I agree so much with you. thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris. It is so good seeing how God is using you to bless those you come into contact with everyday. May He bless you richly Chris. I pray for your health, wellness and safety in your area of the world. Be safe and never forget, you are a special angel that God is using in special ways and I was so honored to get to know you and work with you all those years ago. Love, Steve Baker

    ReplyDelete